Our hogs, like our chickens, are grown out on our pasture. These guys spend their whole life on our farm from farrow (term for pig birth) to finish. Our breeding stock have a mixture of heritage breeds including Mangalitsa, Red Wattle, Duroc, and Hampshire.
The grain we feed them is soy free and free of Genetically Modified Organisms(GMOs). We regularly grind the grain ourselves from locally sourced grains and supplement with mineral from Buckwheat Growers of Wadena. Fresh feed has really increased the quality of our animals.
Most feeds that are not Certified Organic are now adulterated with genetically modified corn and soybeans. Genetically modified crops fall into two major categories:
- They are modified to be resistant to herbicide. These crops encourage the use of chemical herbicides to knock down all living plants except that crop since it has a resistance to the herbicide. or
- They are modified to be resistant to an insect pest. These crops are touted as beneficial because they reduce the use of chemical insecticides. The problem is that the crop itself has become a insecticide! If you look at the seed bags of these crops they have an EPA pesticide registration just like you would see on the side of a can of Black Flag Wasp Killer.
Since this type of agriculture is on the leading edge of careless exploitation we do not support it and will not feed our animals these kinds of grains.
Whole or Half Hog Specifics and Cost Estimates: We sell our hogs whole or in halves. Our price includes the cost of delivery to the butcher and delivery to you. Our price is based upon hanging weight which is the weight of the pig after slaughter. We aim for a 200 lbs. hanging weight. Butcher fees are between $100-$150 for a half hog and $200-$250 for a whole depending on what you have done (sausages? ham? slicing? etcetera). Estimated final cost for a half hog is $400-$600 and a whole hog is $800-$1000.
We also have USDA inspected pork in 1-4 pound packages. Please see the “Printable Order Form” for prices. We’re excited to say we now have brats, cheddar brats and Italian sausage!! To see current prices click on the link to our printable order form below:
When ordering a half or whole hog, here are the options you’ll choose from when calling the butcher:
- Pork chops (about 23-26, 1 inch or you can ask for 2 inch cuts) – other options for chops include making them into baby back ribs (deboned chops), boneless tenderloin, ground or roasts
- Shoulder Roasts (2) or Steaks (4-6) or Cottage Bacon (similar to ham in taste)
- Loin Roasts (2) or Steaks (4-6)
- Ground pork (6-12 lb of trim)
- Ribs (2 lb)
- Smoked Ham or Ham Roasts (can be halved or quartered)
- Smoked Hocks or Fresh Hocks (2)
- Side Pork (pork belly) or Smoked Bacon – thick or thin sliced (about 6-10 lbs)
- Pork fat for rendering lard (we suggest you pay the small fee to have it ground, it renders more efficiently)
- All meat cuts have other options like being ground or deboned if there is a cut you do not prefer
Here is an article that explains the cuts a little more: “A Complete Guide to Pork Cuts”
Thank you for considering supporting our small family farm and careful dominion over the earth with your grocery dollars!