Pizza. I once heard it is the perfect pregnancy food. All the food groups can be added and it’s hard to despise the taste. For us, it satisfies every child too. A favorite pastime for us is to ask ultimate questions like, “If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?” 99% of the time, we settle on pizza. The toppings are so versatile and now, with cauliflower crust, almond flour crust, coconut flour crust or even zucchini crust (yes, I’ve made this), the crust can be versatile too.
Hopefully, with the recipe I have for you today, you have some tomatoes you’ve preserved from last year’s harvest, because you’ll want to make tomato sauce and pick up some mozzarella. As for extra toppings, think Italian sausage or brats. My boys love these thin sliced and placed on top.
Today I want to share our favorite crust. We’ve been using this for years. You can substitute some or all of the flour for freshly ground or whole wheat too and it still works great. Add some extra olive oil to a bar pan with raised sides and it makes great deep dish. Roll it thin and it also makes an excellent thin crust. I’ve even used this for calzones.
Best part? Mix it up and, after getting all the toppings ready, it’s ready to be put in the oven just twenty minutes later. If you don’t have a favorite pizza crust, give it a try. I think you’ll like this one!
Favorite Pizza Crust
- 2 1/2 cups flour, additional if needed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon or more olive oil, to seal finished dough
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar and yeast.
- Add the water and knead for about ten-fifteen minutes or eight minutes in a mixer. Use the stretch test to see if the dough is ready to rest. Simply stretch the dough and if it can become thin without breaking, it has been kneaded enough.
- Pour a bit of olive oil over the dough, sealing it, cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 Fahrenheit.
- After the dough has risen, knead it a bit and place it on a pizza pan. Roll it as thin or as thick as you like.
- Add all the seasonings, toppings, and cheese you prefer.
- Bake for 11 – 15 minutes at 450 Fahrenheit.